Poor Man’s Tortilla Soup
(AKA Keith’s College Diet)
• 1/2 Yellow Onion
• 3 Garlic Cloves
• 2 C Chicken Stock (16 oz)
• 1 Can - Low Sodium Diced Tomatoes (28 oz)
• 1 Can - Low Sodium Whole Black Beans (15 oz)
• 1 Can - Low Sodium Whole Kernel Corn (15 oz)
• 2 Chicken Breasts
• 2 TBSP Olive Oil
• Chopped Hatch Green Chile
• Salt & Pepper
• 1/2 C Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
• 1 Bag of Fritos
1. Finely dice the half of one onion. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil in large pot over
medium heat. Once hot add onion and sweat until soft and fragrant, mixing
occasionally (3-4 minutes).
2. While the onions are sweating, finely chop garlic. Add the garlic to the pot once
the onion has finished sweating and cook until fragrant (1 minute).
3. Add 2 cups chicken stock and cans of tomato, black beans, and corn including all
of their liquid to the pot. Mix thoroughly to combine and bring to a simmer.
4. Chop desired amount of green chile and add to the pot. Once the soup has
reached a simmer, reduce heat to low and cover, stirring occasionally (30-60
5. Add remaining olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Season the chicken breasts
liberally with salt and pepper. Pan fry the chicken, then shred and set aside.
(Note: a third of a rotisserie chicken, broken down and shredded is a good
substitution for this step)
6. After about 30 minutes, season the soup generously with salt and pepper. Low
sodium soup cans were chosen because this gives the best control over the amount
of salt. Taste to gauge seasoning level and add more salt and pepper as needed.
(Note: If stronger onion or garlic flavor is desired, add garlic and onion powder)
7. Add the shredded chicken to the soup and mix thoroughly to combine about 5
minutes before serving. (Note: this ensures the chicken is heated through but not
8. Serve into bowls and garnish which cheese and Fritos (for a Californian twist, add